Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, October 4, 2010

Lazy Jane Casserole

This was always one of my favorite dishes when I was a child. My mother had gotten the recipe from her sister, who was my favorite aunt. She was absolutely religious about remembering to send birthday presents to us girls. In fact, if it was my birthday, she would include gifts for my sisters, as well...same for my sisters' birthdays....all children got a gift. She never married or had children of her own, and was confined to a wheelchair for many years. She was my Pen-Pal, my confidante. She lived in Idaho and I was in Washington when we first began corresponding. I was probably 7 or 8 years old at the time. We later moved to California, where I only got to see her once a year, when my grandparents came to visit and brought her with them. She passed away in the mid-70s at a very young age (36, I believe) and her death hit me hard, as I loved her so much. She also gave my mom the Eastern Beef Casserole recipe that is available in my archives (and has become a favorite of my hubby!).

Lazy Jane Casserole

1 lb beef stew meat
1 can beef broth
3/4 tsp salt
1 large onion, sliced
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup burgundy or dry red wine

Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix all ingredients together (I brown the stew meat first, but that is not part of the original recipe); place in casserole dish and cover and bake for 3 hours.

I love and miss you, Aunt Gail!

No comments:

Post a Comment

visitors since 02/08/09.