Follow Me on Pinterest

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!

My Thanksgiving table

Well, I woke up this morning at 5:30 and couldn't go back to sleep! That just made me so unhappy as I will probably be very tired come early evening. Maybe I'll catch a second wind. :). We don't eat until 6:00 pm so there is no need to get up early and start cooking. Yesterday I got the house all cleaned and last night I set the table. I also set out the dishes I would be using in the cooking process, and put the non-perishable ingredients in those dishes along with the recipe so it's all ready to go. ANOTHER TIP: This is one of my all-time favorite tips for making a large meal. Mash your potatoes early in the day. Yes, hours before you need them. Take out your handy-dandy crockpot and rub the bottom and sides (inside the crockpot, not outside ;) ) with butter. Put your mashed potatoes inside the buttered crockpot and set it on low and leave it alone. Your potatoes will be nice and hot and no worries about trying to get them mashed at the last minute! You can do this with sweet potatoes, too. I'm all about getting it done early so you can avoid the stress of trying to pull everything together at the last minute.

Okay, now for the dish I have made for today. It's a new recipe from BHG and I haven't tried it yet since it is still chilling, but I'll let you know how it went over when it's all said and done. I'm actually making a couple of other new side dishes as well, and I will share those as well.

ORANGE-APPLE WALDORF SALAD

1 20 oz can crushed pineapple, undrained (juice pack)
2 TBSP sugar
1 3 oz package orange-flavor gelatin
1 8 oz package cream cheese, softened and cut up
1 medium apple, cored and chopped
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 of an 8 oz carton frozen whipped dessert topping, thawed
Orange sections and green grapes (optional)

In a medium saucepan, combine undrained pineappleand sugar; heat to boiling. Stir in gelatin until dissolved. Stir in cream cheese until melted and well combined. Remove from heat. Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Chill about 1 hour or until meixture is slightly thickened. Stir in chopped apple and nuts. Fold in dessert topping. Transfer mixture to a 2-quart baking dish or 1 1/2 quart bowl or mold. Cover and chill at least 4 hours. To serve, cut into squares, or unmold onto serving plate. If desired, garnish individual servings with orange sections and grapes. Makes 9-12 side-dish servings.

Ok, here is what I did different: Along with the apple and walnuts, I added half of a large can of mandarin oranges (drained). I will use the other half to garnish when it's ready to serve. I also quartered large green grapes and threw them in there as well. As always, I will let you know how it turns out. I will also try to remember to take pictures and upload them as well. *******This was VERY yummy! Everyone really liked it and was so easy to make!****** Looks like I forgot to take photos :( Sorry :(

I hope everyone out there has a warm, safe and wonderful Thanksgiving. I'd love it if you would drop me a line and let me know how yours turned out!

TTFN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

visitors since 02/08/09.